Visual Studio is a rich, integrated development environment for creating applications for Windows, Android, and iOS, as well as modern web applications and cloud services.
The Visual Studio application is built for Windows operating systems, and targets intermediate to expert designers and coders. Microsoft provides many different tutorials that cover both C# and Visual Basic, and there are many more available online to get you on your way to building apps and games. Visual Studio is capable of creating applications for Windows, Android and iOS devices.
Visual Studio includes free, professional and enterprise versions.
Create a Username and Sign in for Visual Studio using this guide Coding Challenge – Quick guide for staff and students.
Things to consider
- Many tutorials are provided by Microsoft, and more can be found online from other sources.
- Very suitable for those who are strong at hard coding.
- Supports C# and Visual Basic, including tutorials to support both.
- Widely used in the industry, with many partners using the software to build applications in one form or another.
- Includes strong debugging tools.
- Very versatile if the user has the programming knowledge to support their ambitions.
- Offers integration with Unity and DirectX for developing games.
Challenges and things to consider
- Visual Studio is run from an executable file which needs to be installed to the hard drive, requiring administrator privileges.
- The program aimed at users who already have a sizeable degree of programming experience.
- Visual Studio has a steep learning curve and can be difficult to simply pick up and start using without prior knowledge.
- The software is only available to Windows systems.